Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day 4 - A Ruffly Fall Apron

Today's featured apron is reflective of the current weather here in Western Montana - it's starting to feel like fall.....and I'm not ready for it, but I have fall fabric so I thought, what the heck? Here is the top of the apron so you can see the fabric

:



This is a new pattern for me - a pattern book to be specific. It's called More Retro Aprons by Cindy Taylor Oates. I bought the pattern to make a specific apron for a friend (which you will see soon), but liked all the designs so much, I will totally make all of them!! The one I made is the A-1 view. It's a pretty basic apron with added frills - and an interesting way to tie it. I chose the fall fabric combo because I had a lot of it (my friend Gloria gave it to me) and I thought it was cute!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qLmPR8aHL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg This is the pattern - at least the 3 views on the front of the book - I'll share the other views later. The nice thing about this pattern is that it is sized, S-XL. I chose to make the size L which is a 10,12,14. My mom tried it on (she's in the size range) and it fit nicely. As a woman with a nice bit "up front", it's refreshing to find patterns that can accommodate that!

I must confess, I didn't read through the directions all the way and kinda messed up the ruffles as a result, but I think they turned out ok - now I know for next time!! Live and learn.

Here is the finished apron - with 2 different options for tying it, and a back view. Didn't have a model tonight so I used my dress form. Not as exciting as making my family model, but it was all I had!!




Apron tied in the back - simple and basic. The pattern includes some darts under the bust to add some shape - I think that's a very nice touch. 
There are little loops that the ties fit through - so clever!



Here is the apron with the ties crossed in the back and tied in the front. I think it's a really cute option (if you are trim enough to get them around....) While this is not a reversible apron, it is fully lined - another nice touch!

This fun, frilly, fall apron is available for sale - $25 (plus shipping).

No comments:

Post a Comment